Schematics, parts list and software download
Please see the pages related to EFIS version 2 and above.
This is the original version of the EFIS.
The main objective of this version was to prove the concept of fully functional DIY Electronic Flight Information System.
One of the primary goals of this version was to to build it for under $100 US. It has been achieved. All up cost of components including the case and mounting hardware is $97.
It was primarily achieved by ordering most of the components directly from distributors in China using the cheapest delivery method. So, your mileage might vary.
Main features of this version
- Airspeed indicator (ASI) – knots only
- Altimeter – feet
- Vertical speed indicator (VSI) – ft/min
- Magnetic compass
- Slip indicator (Ball),
- Attitude indicator (artificial horizon)
- Flight-time timer (airswitch)
- UTC/Local time clock
(to download high resolution image – right-click, open link in new tab)
EFIS 19264 version 1.0 (29/07/2016) software (Arduino sketch) including libraries.
The software has been tested with Arduino IDE version 1.6.9
It might not compile properly on other versions of IDE. In fact a few people reported weird compilation errors on IDE version 1.6.10
Download ver. 1.0
|U2||Display 4″ 192×64 pix KS0107/KS0108 based monochrome display from BuyDisplay|
|ARD1||Arduino Mega 2560, non-genuine model.|
|U1||Gyro-Magnetometer-Accelerometer – BNO055. ATBNO055-XPRO Xplained Pro|
|U7||Rotary Encoder KY-040|
|U6||Differential pressure sensor MPXV5010DP|
|U4||Static pressure sensor MS5611|
|U5||Real time clock DS3231|
|U3||Level shifter 3v/5v|
|R2||69 Ohm resistor|
|Pneumatic fittings (x2) and tubing (pitot and static)|
(put it last – no one reads manuals anyway)
Power can be supplied via USB or 5.5/2.1mm power barrel/jack. Voltage between 6V and 20V is OK. Voltage over 14V is not generally recommended due to excessive heat dissipation on the on-board voltage regulators.
QNH setting – momentarily push the knob, turn to set the desired QNH or airfield elevation, push the knob again to store
Main menu (time and air-switch)
- push and hold the knob for about 2 seconds until the screen changes.
- navigate to the setting you want to change by twisting the knob
- push the knob to enter the setting.
- turn the knob to change the setting
- push the knob again to store the setting.
- to store the time push and hold the knob
- to exit – navigate to the top of the screen to “Exit” and push the knob.
Magnetic compass is self calibrating. It is recommended to have at least one 360 deg turn for it to operate properly.